THERE ARE MANY WAYS IN PREPARING JELLYFISH ENTREES. ONCE THE JELLYFISH HAVE BEEN PROCESSED PROPERLY YOU ARE READY TO MAKE NUMEROUS DISHES. THEY ARE SERVED COLD OR HOT, COOKED OR RAW. YOU CAN PREPARE SALADS WITH SLICED JELLYFISH. THEY ARE CRUNCHY AND TASTELESS YOU GIVE IT THE FLAVOR YOU WANT IT TO HAVE. JELLYFISH IS USED IN A LOT OF CULINARY DISHES AND ASIAN CUISINE. JELLYFISH ARE OFTEN SERVED WITH A DRESSING OF OIL, SOYSAUCE, VINEGAR AND SUGAR. IN JAPAN IT IS MOSTLY SERVED AS AN APPETIZER. YOU CAN STIR-FRY IT WITH OTHER VEGGIES. YOU CAN MAKE EGG-ROLLS WITH SHREDDED JELLYFISH KNOWN AS JELLY ROLLS. JELLYFISH IS USED TO MAKE SUSHI WRAPS.
Jellyfish Salad 涼拌海蜇
- 1/2 lb jellyfish, or 1/2 catty
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp chopped chili peppers (optional)
Directions: Rinse the salt off the jellyfish and cut into long shreds of 1/4 inch thickness. Soak the jellyfish shreds in a large bowl filled with cool water over night, changing the water several times until the jellyfish tastes neutral. If in a hurry you may try changing the water very frequently for a couple of hours until the jellyfish tastes neutral. Drain out the water and put jelly fish back into the large bowl. Pour enough boiling water over jellyfish to cover and let sit for one minute. You will see the jellyfish contract therefore creating the lovely crunchiness. Drain and plunge into ice cold water to stop cooking. Once jellyfish is cool drain throughly. Add salt, mix and let sit for 10-15 mins. Squeeze the jellyfish as dry as possible. Add the jellyfish, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil and chili peppers into mixing bowl. Mix and taste. Adjust seasonings as necessary: it should have a balance of sweet, salty and sour. Pour into serving bowl, cover and put in the fridge to chill and marinate at least one hour* or until the rest of the dinner is ready. Just before serving give it a quick stir.
*Tip: If you're in a hurry (like I always am!) you can cheat by putting your jellyfish in the freezer for 10 mins or until thoroughly chilled before serving.
Korean Cold Jellyfish Salad – Haepari Naengchae
- 1 10oz. package salted, shredded jellyfish
- 1 English cucumber, seeds removed and sliced thinly
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 6-7 imitation crab meat sticks, separated into thin strips
- 1 Asian pear, sliced thinly
- ⅓ cup rice wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon pureed garlic
- pinch of salt
Prepare the jellyfish - Rinse under cold running water. Fill a large bowl with cold water and let it soak for an hour. Taste and rinse until most of the salt has been removed. Drain and set aside
Meanwhile, prep all the veggies and mix together the dressing.
Refrigerate all components until ready to serve.
Pour the dressing over and stir everything together.
- 125g jellyfish ready-to-eat (if you can only find salted jellyfish, that’s fine, but they must be rinsed, then soaked in water for at least 4hrs or overnight to remove the salt)
- 500g potatoes
- 75g butter
- Salt & Pepper
- 3 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 tbsp fresh spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger
- 2 Large handfuls fresh coriander leaves and stalks, finely chopped
- 2 tsp sweet chilli dipping sauce
- Vegetable oil for frying
To serve: Sweet chili dipping sauce
Squeeze as much water as possible out of the jellyfish, then pat dry with cloths or kitchen roll to remove more water. Chop thinly into shreds the size of tagliatelle, and about 2cm long. Place on a cloth to continue drying (you really need to get as much moisture as possible out of them). Meanwhile…
Make your mashed potato:
Peel the potatoes, then chop them into walnut-sized chunks.
Place them in a pan of hot water, bring to the boil and continue boiling for 12-15 minutes until tender
Drain the potatoes thoroughly, then mash thoroughly (we should use a potato ricer)
Add the butter, salt and pepper and stir through.
In a bowl, mix the toasted sesame oil, spring onions, ginger, chopped coriander and sweet chili dipping sauce together and stir well.
Put the mash into one large mixing bowl and add HALF of the toasted sesame oil/herb mixture, and mix together. In a second bowl, add the chopped jellyfish and the remaining toasted sesame oil/herb mixture, and mix together.
To make your burgers (you are basically making a mashed potato sandwich with the jellyfish mixture in the middle):
First take a handful of herby potato mixture and make a very flat disk the size of your palm. Lay it on a chopping board. Take a slightly smaller handful of the jellyfish mixture and place it on the potato so that it doesn’t reach the edges. Take another handful of potato and place it on the top. Mould the mixture around so that the jellyfish is cased in potato.
Heat a non-stick frying pan until medium-hot, add a tablespoon of vegetable oil and fry the burgers one at a time for only 2 mins on each side. You just need to brown the outsides (remember that the jellyfish and potato are all cooked and ready to eat.
Serve with jellyfish salad and sweet chili dipping sauce.
Chilled Jelly Fish with Cucumbers in Garlic Sauce
- 3-4 pieces of whole jelly fish heads
- 1 medium cucumber or 2 Japanese (baby) cucumbers
- 1 red chili pepper (optional)
Garlic Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons of dark vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1 clove of garlic
¼ teaspoon of sugar
- Dash of salt (to taste)
1. Soak the jelly fish in water for at least 12 hours. You should change water at least 2-3 times (every couple of hours or so.) When you purchase the jelly fish from Chinese markets, they are soaked in salt water and often very salty. After soaking the jelly fish, prepare a pot of boiling water and blanch the jelly fish for 2 minutes. Drain and cut into desired pieces. Set aside.
2. Smash the cucumber with the back of your knife. Chop into chunks and the add 1 teaspoon of course salt to the cucumbers. Rub thoroughly and let the cucumbers rest for 10 minutes. The water from the cucumber will come out from this process, this will give the cucumbers extra crunchy texture. Rinse the cucumber under running water, drain thoroughly and set aside.
3. In a small mixing bowl, combine the garlic sauce ingredients. Pour the sauce over the prepared jelly fish and cucumbers. Toss thoroughly. Keep the dish refrigerated for an hour before serving. This appetizer is delicious when served chilled.
THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF JELLYFISH ALSO KNOWN AS (HAI-ZHE)
Jellyfish is a very popular in both, culinary and diet, because of the high level of water in it (95%) That is the case of the specie that is called cannonball jellyfish which lives in the waters of the U.S. continent. The rest of the percentage is proteins, and the incredible amount of water in it makes it one of the foods that are the lowest in calories. Also, the collagen found in jellyfish in general, is very valuable substance which is useful for all the diets and as the functional food in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. But, along with the use in the culinary, jellyfish is of significant benefit in medicine. Besides the already mentioned effect the jellyfish has on arthritis, there are another health benefits, such as in the treatments of different sensations of pain, swellings and ulcers, menstrual cramps and the high blood pressure. It relieves the conditions and problems, related to the system of digestion, and minimizes the sense of tiredness. The use of jellyfish in cosmetics should be mentioned too, because already proven valuable effect the collagen has on skin and hair. Many researches have been performed recently because none of this beneficial effects on health aren’t actually yet been proven. But, there are enough evidences in the examinations that were performed on the laboratory mice and the studies showed that jellyfish can reduce arthritis in them. It is very valuable evidence because the arthritis in mice and rats is similar to the arthritis in the human population, in the case of histology, genetic features and immunology. So, although not yet supported with the scientific evidences, the beneficial effects of jellyfish are described in many non-scientific writings in the tradition of the Chinese population. But, when something has a long traditional significance through history, the probability of the claims must be very high.